Difflugia elegans complex
Diagnosis: shell outline variable, pyriform, usually with a slight constriction near the aperture to form a neck; one to three aboral tubular horns present, often curved and perforated at the apex; shell composed of small and/or large pieces of angular quartz and sometimes diatom frustules, bounded together by an organic cement; aperture usually circular.
Dimensions: Length in literature 80-162 µm; breadth 39-99 µm.
Remarks: Variation in the construction of the test is considerable, as is the length and shape of the tubular horn(s).
Within the D. elegans complex Mazei and Warner (2012) distinguish as a separate taxon D. elegans Penard, 1890, with following synonyms:
- D. amphoralis Hopkinson, 1909
- D. tricornis (Jung, 1936) Ogden, 1983
- D. elegans f. tricornis Jung, 1936
- D. elegans f. bicornis Jung, 1936
- D. australis (Playfair, 1918) Gautier-LiÃ¨vre et Thomas, 1958
- D. solowetskii Mereschkowsky,1877
- D. varians Penard, 1902
- D. leidyi Wailes, 1912
- D. borodini Gassowsky, 1936
- D. juzephiniensis Dekhtyar, 1993
- D. elegans var. teres Penard, 1899
- D. elegans var. angustata Deflandre, 1926