Euglypha hyalina Coûteaux, 1978
Diagnosis: Test ovoid, little or no compressed. Number of apertural scales 8 to 10, scales hexagon-shaped, the largest width is half the length. On the inner side, a median hook at the tip of the scale, two (exceptionnally three) pairs of side hooks on its front quarter. The length/width ratio is between 1.00 and 1.54. All hooks are pulled outwards and forwards. Scales of the theca: 8 to 10 rows visible in width, 5 to 6 in length, diamond-shaped. Dimensions (out of 9 specimens): Length of the theca: 18.5-27.9 microns (median: 24.4 microns). Width of the theca: 9.4-16.4 microns (median: 12.7 microns). Length of mouth scales: 2.3-4.1 microns (median: 3.6 microns). Width of oral scales: 1.8-3.2, microns (median: 2.8 microns). Flake length: 3.8-4.9 microns (median: 4.4 microns). Scale width: 1.8-2.9 microns (median: 2.3 microns). Remarks: this species differs from Euglypha rotunda var. minor by the shape of the distal end of the apertural scales which is pointed and not finger-shaped elongated, by the more anterior position of the hooks and by the diamond-like shape of the scales of the theca.
Dimensions: (n=9) Test length: 23.9-35.7 µm (mean 29.5 µm); width: 11.7-20.4 µm (mean 17.7 µm). Apertural scales: length 3.7-5.0 µm (mean 4.5 µm), width 2.2-3.4 µm (mean 2.5 µm). Scales: length: 3.2-5.7 µm (mean 4.3 µm), width: 2.1-3.2 µm (mean 2.5 µm).
Ecology: Soil, forest. Japan.
Remarks: Remarks: this species differs from Euglypha rotunda var. minor by the shape of the distal end of the apertural scales which is pointed and not finger-shaped elongated, by the more anterior position of the hooks and by the diamond-like shape of the scales of the theca.
1) for the test: size and the number of rows of scales in length and width;
2) for the oral scales: the length, the length/width ratio, the location of the widest width, the presence or absence of a finger-shaped structure at the distal end, the presence or absence of a thickening at the proximal end.
Those who are common to them are:
1) for the test: the length/width ratio, the uncompressed character;
2) for the apertural scales: the width, the presence of hooks;
3) for the scales of the test: size.
Literature: Coûteaux, M., 1978. Quelques Thécamoebiens du sol de Japon. Rev.Écol.Biol.Sol, 15:1:119-128.